Tar & Chip is so durable & economical that it's used on hundreds of miles of highways in Alaska (including the Alaska Highway), the Yukon Territory and British Columbia. Ease of application is one reason for Tar & Chip's popularity, along with attractive appearance, ease of maintenance, durability and very competitive price.
One highly desirable attribute of Tar & Chip pavement is the ability to choose the color of your driveway simply by selecting the color of the stone that is used. This allows you to easily choose a driveway color that complements the colors of your house and landscaping.
- A chip seal is about one fourth to one fifth the cost of a conventional asphalt overlay.
- By extending the time between asphalt overlays, chip seals result in lower costs over the long term.
- By placing a chip seal sooner than an asphalt overlay would be placed, the residents benefits from roads maintained in better condition.
- Chip Seals eliminate the need to crack seal.
- Chip seals enhance safety by providing good skid resistance.
- Chip seals provide an effective moisture barrier for the underlying pavement against water intrusion by sealing cracks in the pavement.
- Chip seals prevent deterioration of the asphalt surface from the effects of aging and oxidation due to water and sun.
- Many State Department of Transportation use Chip N Seal which has successfully used chip seals for over 25 years to maintain state routes.
Here are the Downsides of using Chip N Seal.
* Just one. Snow. Per our warranty you are not permitted to plow or shovel any snow under one inch of snow. All plows must remain above one each throughout, and at the entrances must be up one & half inches for the first few feet. Must use chemical Salt only. Rock Salt will turn the rock white and deteriorate the project.
How it all works.
1. Prepare driveway to meets the standards of Chip N Seal. File pot holes, large cracks, uneven areas. We use a concrete repairs on the existing asphalt or concrete driveway. Remove all vegetation and a spray weed killer in those areas. (.25 cents for the entire driveway)
2. Either in Sections or all at once lay down either hot tar.
3. Immediately disperse the rock either by bob-cat, shovel, hand or all above.
4. Within the hour roll over the driveway with a 2 ton roller and electric tapper along the sides.
5. Additional cost to make the rock stand out and hold its color, you can opt for applying a seal coat over the rock given it a shinning look, plus extra protection. ($0.25 sq foot)
$0.25 cents per sq foot to prep the driveway (one days work)
$3.50 dollars per sq foot for chip n seal. Must pick among rocks from Kirkwood Materials -two - three days work
$.50 cents per sq foot to applying chip n seal, sealer over rock- one days work (sprayed)
Now if the driveway is larger you begin to see a decrease in price per sq foot.
2000 - 4000 10% off
4000 - 6000 15% off
6000 - 8000 20% off
8000 - 10,000 25% off
10,000 - 12,000 30% OFF
12,000 - 14,000 35% OFF
14,000 + 40% OFF
Our prices are slightly higher than most Chip N Seal companies in St.Louis, but our warranty is a lot longer than what they offer. As we offer a 10 year warranty.
Between 3/8 to 1/2 inches at Kirkwood Materials only. Or you can pre-order the rock from another locations, but you pay for it and have it delivered. We will subtract those cost from the overall cost of the project, but must be approved by management first.
After completions you must wait 48 hours for it to cure before driving on. If this is an issue and you have a circle driveway, we can split the job into two jobs. Doing one job one week and the other the following for an additional $1500.00
We warranty the work for 10 years from signing of the contract. This warranty is only for residential traffic, not commercial or home business with heavy traffic. You must follow snow & ice where only chemical salt can be use, and one inch life of shovels or plows throughout the driveway, and that at the ends of the driveway that the lifts are one & half inches for the first few (2 feet minimum)feet.
Warranty is void if damages are caused by man like, or mother nature resulting n flooding, tornadoes or lighting. In these situations, repairs can be made at $3.00 per sq foot with a minimum $600.00
Pivoting (man-like error) is not effective with normal vehicle traffic, but if larger vehicles like trash trucks, dump trucks are consistently in use, pot holes will take place from those vehicles pivoting. Overall Chip n Seal is the best solution that Vets Driveway Co has to offer.